Mardi Gras Crafting with Kids
Mardi Gras and Carnival season are upon us! Let the good times roll with this fun, affordable craft that allows you to celebrate Mardi Gras wherever you are! If you’re town doesn’t celebrate Mardi Gras, bring the fun of floats to your home by grabbing a shoebox and few simple tools, including your child’s imagination and creativity.
Photo Credit: This Ole Mom Blog - "Shoebox Mardi Gras Float"
- Shoebox with removable lid - You may use an adult or child’s shoebox, depending on how much you wish to fit on the box and the amount of time you want to spend.
- Glue – Any kind of glue will do, but a hot glue gun may be more durable.
- Wrapping or construction paper – This will be used to cover the box before decorating. Before choosing paper, decide on a theme for the float. Leftover wrapping paper from the holidays may help you save money on this craft.
- Tape (optional) – If you choose to go the wrapping paper route, consider using tape instead of glue to cover the box. Tape may be an easier and less messy option.
- Dolls or riders – As with floats in real life, your child’s shoebox float needs riders. This can be any kind of plastic doll or toy figurine.
- Decorations – Grab anything you or your child would like to decorate the float with. If you have a theme, choose coordinating colors or items. Visit your local Dollar General or go online to find craft items like stickers, feathers, beads, ribbon, glitter, tinsel or streamers.
Save money on craft items by signing up for Dollar General’s Digital Coupons Program that provides customers with an easy-to-use platform to redeem digital coupons. Sign-up today, click here, visit www.dollargeneral.com/coupons or access coupons on the Dollar General mobile app! Happy Mardi Gras and laissez les bon temps rouler!
- Pick a shoebox with a removable lid and begin covering both parts, the lid and box, with your chosen form of paper. No need to cover the inside of the box as it will be flipped over.
- Attach the lid to one side of the box and slide it onto the shoebox. The lid will serve as the back wall of the float.
- Use glue to attach the lid to the box. If you or another adult is present, use a hot glue gun in order to provide more durability.
- Begin decorating! Your child’s imagination will soar as they decorate their dream float. Use any and all craft items available to decorate. Consider adding DG Party™ Foil Confetti to the float for a festive look that includes a variety of colors to match any theme. Don’t forget to add your dolls or riders!