With the new year—and new decade!—here, you may be looking to create or stick to a budget or look to make healthier choices. If goals geared toward finances and health are on your to-do list, consider your neighborhood Dollar General where you can help accomplish both! Your neighborhood store can help you access quality, affordable items to supplement a healthy lifestyle at prices that will be great for your budget, providing an intersection of two popular New Year’s resolutions.
Remember every Dollar General offers healthier essentials like proteins, vegetables, fruits, dairy items, vitamins, minerals and more at each of our more than 16,000 stores. Plus, more than 5,400 Dollar General stores currently provide an assortment of “Better for You” foods that offer healthier choices including lower-sodium or lower-sugar options and feature items from popular brands like Kashi®, Annie’s®, Back to Nature®, KIND® and more. These stores also provide Dollar General’s Good & Smart private brand, which is comprised of items like trail mix, dried fruit, fruit and nut bars and much more at a budget-friendly price.
In fiscal 2020, Dollar General also plans to expand fresh fruits and vegetables to approximately 250 more stores and communities, which is currently available at approximately 600 stores.
From healthier foods and snacks to health and beauty aids, Dollar General offers everyday low prices on the items you frequently use and replenish. Dollar General also offers customers the option to sign up for Digital Coupons that can help further savings by easily saving coupons straight to the Dollar General app. Sign up today by clicking here, by visiting www.dollargeneral.com/coupons or accessing coupons on the Dollar General mobile app. Customers can load coupons to the account and redeem at checkout.
Another way to save money through the Dollar General app is to use the Cart Calculator function. Designed to help customers scan items and keep a running tally of their total purchase (including tax), the Cart Calculator feature also can notify customers if an unclipped digital coupon offer is available for the item scanned. When alerted, customers can easily download the digital offer and see their savings appear after entering their 10-digit Digital Coupon number at register.
To put mindful choices into action, consider browsing a number of easy and affordable recipes through DG Easy Meals that provides ideas and inspiration for healthier and tasty meals—all through ingredients available at Dollar General. Below are some examples of healthier recipes:
On-the-go mornings may never be the same! Egg muffins are an easy, delicious and healthful breakfast option that can be prepared ahead of time. Freeze or store in the fridge for a quick lunch box addition. To keep the muffins vegetarian-friendly or reduce sodium, omit bacon bits.
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 12 Clover Valley® Large Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Clover Valley® Minced Onion
- ½ Cup of Clover Valley® Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- ¼ Clover Valley® Real Bacon Bits
- Clover Valley® Salt and Pepper to taste
- Clover Valley® Canola Oil Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F, or 180°C. Lightly spray a 12-cup capacity muffin tin with nonstick oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and onion. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add egg mixture halfway up into each tin of a greased muffin tin.
- Divide the three topping combinations into 4 muffin cups each.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve OR store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat when ready to serve.
Backyard Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Keep dinner simple with this grilled pork tenderloin recipe. Too cold outside to grill? Sear the pork tenderloins over a cook-top burner or use an electric grill or skillet. Pair the pork tenderloins with Clover Valley® Onions and Mixed Peppers Mix available in the freezer section at your local Dollar General. Round out the plate with a cooked portion of Clover Valley® White Rice or your favorite rice brand!
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 2 (3/4 lb. each) pork tenderloins
- 1 Tbsp. Clover Valley® Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Clover Valley® Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Clover Valley® Pepper
- Put the lemon juice, oregano, parsley, tenderloins and olive oil into a large, zip-lock plastic bag.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the tenderloins out of the bag and sprinkle salt and pepper on the meat.
- Grill over medium heat until meat is cooked to your liking.
- Slice thinly and serve.
Heinz 57 Sauce® Glazed Chicken
This glazed chicken recipe requires only three ingredients making it a great option for busy weeknights. Pair with a side of Clover Valley® Brussels Sprouts that can be found in the freezer section at your local Dollar General.
After steaming the Brussels Sprouts according to the instructions on the package, toss them in a light mixture of your favorite seasonings. Make Brussels Sprouts extra crispy by popping them in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, or until crispy to your liking.
Prep: 3 minutes | Total: 43 minutes
- 1 (10-oz.) bottle Heinz 57® Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 lb. chicken pieces
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 57 Sauce and honey.
- Grill or broil chicken about 25 to 30 minutes, turning once.
- Grill for an additional 10 minutes, turning and brushing with sauce.