Dollar General Surprises 33 Schools and Organizations with "Thanks Giving" Donations
In the spirit of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and Dollar General’s mission of Serving Others, Dollar General donated $275,000 to 33 schools and nonprofits as part of its 2018 “Thanks Giving” campaign. The contributions are intended to support education and literacy in the store and distribution center communities that Dollar General calls home.
Highlights below list organizations that received a “Thanks Giving” donation and showcase photographs of teachers, students and staff receiving their “Thanks Giving” gifts from Dollar General representatives. Learn more about Dollar General’s commitment to its mission, including nearly $600,000 in contributions to support schools and libraries in local communities, this holiday season here.
Schools and organizations that received a “Thanks Giving” donation:
- Alachua Branch - Alachua County Library District in Alachua, Florida
- Will Rogers Elementary School in Ardmore, Oklahoma
- Jonesboro Elementary School in Bessemer, Alabama
- Bethel-Tulpehocken Public Library in Bethel, Pennsylvania
- Fulton High School in Fulton, Missouri
- Lockard Elementary School in Indianola, Mississippi
- Locust Grove Elementary School in Locust Grove, Georgia
- Van Buren Elementary School in Janesville, Wisconsin
- Union County YMCA in Union, South Carolina
- Williams Elementary School in Bakersfield, California
- Judson Middle School in Longview, Texas
- Allen Elementary School in Marion, Indiana
- Hopkins Elementary School in San Antonio, Texas
- Allen County Public Library in Scottsville, Kentucky
- Perry Elementary School in Zanesville, Ohio
- South Boston Public Library in South Boston, Virginia
- Holdrege High and Middle School in Holdrege, Nebraska
- River Valley Middle School in Bidwell, Ohio
- Cato-Meridian High, Middle and Elementary Schools in Cato, New York
- Sheep-Harney Elementary School in Elizabeth City, North Carolina
- Big Spring High and Middle School and Mt. Rock Elementary School in Newville, Pennsylvania
- Center Intermediate School in Center, Texas
- Edison High School in Stockton, California
- Kennedy Middle School in Pharr, Texas
- Chrisman Elementary School in Chrisman, Illinois
- McCook Senior and Junior High School and McCook Elementary in McCook, Nebraska
Allen County Public Library in Scottsville, Kentucky
Dollar General Scottsville Distribution Center Director Joseph Hunter and Assistant Distribution Center Director Bill Goshens present a check to the Allen County Public Library to help further their reading and literacy programs.
Allen Elementary School in Marion, Indiana
Representatives from Dollar General’s Marion distribution center presented Allen Elementary School Assistant Principal Jo Messner with the school’s check.
“We had a wonderful time today presenting the check from Dollar General to Allen Elementary School,” said Linda Daugherty, senior human resources manager. “They were very thankful to say the least and were brought to tears.”
Chrisman Elementary in Chrisman, Illinois
From Left: Dollar General Store Manager (#7467) Angela Wells, Chrisman Elementary School Principal Kelly Schluter and Dollar General District Manager Tom Shoulders.
“The staff and the community were overwhelmed with the donation and very thankful,” said District Manager Tim Shoulders. “Multiple staff members, parents and grandparents spoke about how much this will positively impact the school and the community.”
Perry Elementary School in Zanesville, Ohio
From Left: Dollar General Zanesville Distribution Center Director Brian Braglin, Perry Elementary School Principal Leigh Ann Atkins and Senior Human Resources Manager Sandi Byers.
“They were shocked when I presented the check. The principal and some of the teachers teared up and expressed their heartfelt thanks to Dollar General for the donation,” said Sandi Byers, Zanesville distribution center senior human resources manager. “I am very proud to work for Dollar General and appreciate the opportunity to serve others in our community.”
Fulton High School in Fulton, Missouri
Fulton High School Principal Sam Mincher holds a check received from Steve Gibson, Dollar General’s Fulton distribution center director, as part of Dollar General’s “Thanks Giving” campaign this holiday season.
Holdrege High and Middle School in Holdrege, Nebraska
From Left: Holdrege Middle School Principal Angie Girard, Store Manager Marcie Henry, District Manager Ed Haverluck and Holdrege High School Principal Bob Drews
“This was definitely one of the best days in my career with Dollar General. Being able to give back to these communities and to see the surprise from everyone and how much it will help their programs was a very special feeling,” said Dollar General District Manager Ed Haverluck. “It’s a day that my team and I will never forget. They all were very grateful and appreciative of the donations.”