During October, the Dollar General Literacy Foundation and American Association of School Librarians (AASL) presented six schools with funds totaling $105,000 from its Beyond Words program. The contributions aim to support school libraries’ rebuilding efforts in the wake of natural disasters. Recent contributions aim to further help libraries recovering from tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding and lightening damage and include:
- East Lee County High School in Lehigh Acres, Florida
- Bluford STEM Academy in Greensboro, North Carolina
- Jinks Middle School in Panama City, Florida
- Webbers Falls Public School in Webbers Falls, Oklahoma
- Trenton Elementary School in Trenton, North Carolina
- Boley Elementary School in West Monroe, Louisiana
To be eligible for a Beyond Words grant, applicants must be located within 20 miles of a Dollar General store, distribution center or corporate office and must represent public schools serving students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Eligibility requirements include the library must have either lost its building or incurred substantial damage/hardship due to a natural disaster, fire or act recognized by the federal government as terrorism. Grant applicants must meet one of the two requirements.
For more information or to apply for a Beyond Words grant, visit www.dgliteracy.org.
Bluford STEM Academy
Trenton Elementary School
East Lee County High School
Jinks Middle School
Webbers Middle School
Boley Elementary School