From hand mixers to baking pans, Dollar General also offers a wide range of affordable, quality kitchen tools and utensils to meet your baking needs during National Dessert Month, and beyond! Be sure to find budget-friendly cooking supplies as well by shopping private brands like Clover Valley®. Look for the private brands with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee!
Halloween Layer Cake
Prep: 30 minutes | Total: 2 hours
- 1 box Betty Crocker® White cake mix
- 1 box Betty Crocker® Devil’s Food cake Mix
- 1 ¼ C. water
- ½ C. Clover Valley® Vegetable Oil or 1/3 C. melted butter
- 3 Clover Valley® Large Eggs
- Clover Valley® Canola Oil Cooking Spray
- 2 Betty Crocker® Vanilla Frosting, 16 Oz.
- Clover Valley® Semisweet Chocolate Chips, 12 Oz.
- DairyPure® Heavy Cream, Half Pint
- Peeps® Ghosts, 3pk
- Pepperidge Farm® Milano Cookies
- BRACH’S® Mellowcreme Autumn Mix Halloween Candy
- Spooky Nerds®
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for metal and glass pans, or 325 degrees for dark and coated pans.
- Grease sides and bottom of each pan with butter or oil spray. Flour pan lightly.
- Prepare Betty Crocker® White Cake mix by following the instructions on the back of the box.
- Prepare Betty Crocker® Devil’s Food Cake mix by following the instructions on the back of the box.
- Evenly divide batter among four 9” round pans.
Tip: For a creative twist, create a marble cake by pouring a cup of white cake batter on top of the devil’s food cake batter and vice versa. Create a marble effect by designing a swirl pattern with a toothpick.
- Bake cake layers according to the instructions on the back of the box, or approximately 30 minutes.
Tip: To ensure that the cake is properly baked, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If wet batter appears on the toothpick, the cake will need more time in the oven. If it comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven.
- Let the cakes cool completely after removing from the oven.
- If needed, level cakes to create a flat surface. Place one cake layer on a cake stand or large serving plate.
- Evenly spread about ¼ cup of frosting between layers. Frost the outside of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Combine semisweet chocolate chips and heavy cream over a double boiler or by warming in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl. Place in the microwave at a low power level and heat at 30 seconds to one minute intervals until liquid.
- Pour chocolate mixture over top of cake and allow to set slightly.
- Add decorations. Check out the above YouTube video on ideas for decorating a showstopping cake!