Holiday Baking on a Budget
Dec 10, 2019
One of the tastiest ways to spread holiday cheer is by creating delicious desserts for all to enjoy. From cookies and cakes to fudge and candy, the holidays are full of sweet treats that can help to spread the joy. Whether you’re a master chef or new in the kitchen, DG Easy Meals is a great option when looking for recipes.
Whether you’re in need of key ingredients like sugar and butter or looking to update your baking pans and hand mixer, Dollar General offers a wide range of affordable and quality baking ingredients, kitchen tools and utensils. For additional savings, consider switching to private brands like Clover Valley®, which offers a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
When shopping for savings this holiday season, also consider signing up for Dollar General’s Digital Coupons Program that helps to provide customers with an easy-to-use platform and digital coupons. Sign up today by clicking here, by visiting www.dollargeneral.com/coupons or accessing coupons on the Dollar General mobile app. Customers can load coupons to the account and redeem at checkout.
Get in the holiday spirit with three easy, quick recipes from DG Easy Meals:
Cookies can be a great option when looking to share a sweet holiday surprise. Double the ingredients if baking for a large group. Place holiday cookies in treat bags and dress up with a ribbon.
- 1 (7.2-oz.) pouch Betty Crocker™ peanut butter cookie mix
- 1 Tbsp. Clover Valley® All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Clover Valley® Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- Assorted gel food colors
- Assorted sprinkles, decorating sugars or edible glitter
- Heat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, mix cookie mix, flour, oil and water until soft dough forms. On work surface sprinkled lightly with flour, roll dough into 8" x 6" rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. Use small knife to cut cookies into twelve 2-inch squares, 4 rows across and 3 rows down.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are set and lightly golden brown. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Place 1/3 cup of the frosting in resealable food-storage plastic bag. Cut small tip off one bottom corner of bag. Divide remaining frosting among several small bowls; color with food colors. Frost cookies with colored frosting and decorate as desired. Use frosting in bag to pipe bows on cookies to look like presents.
Red Velvet Thumbprint cookies are a delicious twist on the classic cake.
- 1 1/2 cups Aunt Jemima Original Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Filling (recipe below)
- Finely chopped toasted pecans (optional)
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In small bowl, stir together pancake mix and cocoa powder.
- In large bowl, beat sugar and butter on medium speed of mixer until creamy. Add red food coloring and egg. Beat just until well combined. Add combined pancake mix and cocoa powder. Beat on low speed until combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate dough 15 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheet. Make indentation in center of each ball pressing with thumb or end of wooden spoon.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Remove from oven. If cookies have puffed up during baking, use thumb or end of wooden spoon to restore indentation. Transfer cookies to wire rack. Cool completely
- To make the cream cheese filling: In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract on medium speed of mixer until well combined. Add confectioners’ sugar. Mix on low speed until smooth.
- Spoon or pipe Cream Cheese Filling into thumbprints (about 1 teaspoon per cookie). Top with chopped pecans, if desired.
CARNATION® Famous Fudge
Make a batch of this classic holiday treat to add to the treat bags for an extra-chocolatey addition. Get creative and add your own additions like pecans, walnuts, extra marshmallows or peppermints!
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (5 fl. oz. can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/4 tsp. Clover Valley® Iodized Salt
- 2 cups Clover Valley® Miniature Marshmallows
- 1-1/2 cups (9 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp. Clover Valley® Vanilla Extract
- Line 8-inch-square baking pan with foil.
- Combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in marshmallows, morsels, nuts and vanilla extract. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into prepared baking pan; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove foil. Cut into 48 pieces.
For Peanutty Chocolate Fudge: Substitute 1-1/2 cups (11-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels and 1/2 cup chopped peanuts for pecans or walnuts.