COVID-19 Ongoing Efforts Update
August 09, 2020
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Dollar General has implemented several proactive and preventative measures designed to enhance employee and customer health and safety and to recognize employee commitment to the Company’s mission of Serving Others. These efforts were recognized by Forbes magazine, which identified Dollar General among its top 25 corporate responders to the COVID-19 pandemic, and are reflected in a Harris Poll that outlines the essential role Dollar General stores are playing.
- Social Distancing: Additional social distancing measures designed to help keep individuals six feet apart are being exercised across the organization. In stores, floor spacing markers and more than 40,000 plexiglass register barriers have been installed throughout the chain. Distribution and cold storage facilities have also implemented traffic flow pattern indicators alongside additional distancing measures in common areas such as restrooms, locker rooms and break rooms.
- Enhanced Cleaning Protocols: From stores and distribution centers to the DG Private Fleet and corporate offices, enhanced cleaning protocols continue to be part of daily operations.
- Safety Measures and Facial Coverings: To enhance social distancing and cleaning protocols, and except as may be otherwise required by law, Dollar General currently requires all employees, vendors and customers to wear facial coverings in stores, distribution centers and corporate offices. Customer and vendor exceptions include situations where wearing a mask is not recommended due to age, is not recommended due to a health or medical condition or is otherwise exempted by state or local order. Employee exceptions include situations where the Company is not able to otherwise provide a reasonable accommodation for certain medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs or the employee is otherwise exempted from the requirement by state or local order. In each traditional distribution center and cold storage facility, temperature scan checks are administered for each employee prior to each shift.
- Paid Sick Leave: Employees who are experiencing fever or other symptoms of the virus are asked to stay home. Employees impacted by COVID-19, including those who must remain at home due to their own diagnosis, to care for an immediate family or household member or while awaiting test results based on their own health symptoms, are paid for regularly-scheduled hours during those times.
- Increased Telehealth Services: For employees not enrolled in Dollar General medical plans, the Company provided an additional opportunity to enroll in Telehealth Programs, which provides affordable healthcare options to employees without physically visiting a healthcare provider’s office. The Company also is currently waiving all Telehealth co-pays for employees covered under Dollar General’s medical plans.
- Senior Hour: Dollar General was one of the first to announce senior hours, which are designed to allow some of the most vulnerable customers the ability to shop during the first hour that stores are open by encouraging customers to plan their shopping trips around these hours so that seniors can purchase the essential items they need in less busy and crowded shopping periods.
- Hiring Efforts: With the heightened demand for household essentials offered by Dollar General amid COVID-19 concerns, Dollar General continues to seek candidates to support opportunities across its store, distribution center, private fleet and corporate functions. The Company provides employees with competitive wages, world-class and award-winning training and development programs and benefits including day-one telemedicine eligibility and Dollar General’s Employee Assistance Foundation, as well as health insurance coverage options, 401K savings and retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave and adoption assistance to eligible employees. Individuals seeking to begin or grow their career are encouraged to review opportunities and apply online at www.dollargeneral.com/careers.
- Ongoing Communication: The Company continues to remind employees on a regular basis of the steps to help avoid or contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus, as well as steps they should take if they experience symptoms or have direct contact with someone who tested positive for the virus. Protocols have also been established on how employees should respond to both direct and indirect exposure to the virus, which will be updated as the situation unfolds.
Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 17,683 stores in 46 states as of July 30, 2021. In addition to high-quality private brands, Dollar General sells products from America's most-trusted manufacturers such as Clorox, Energizer, Procter & Gamble, Hanes, Coca-Cola, Mars, Unilever, Nestle, Kimberly-Clark, Kellogg's, General Mills, and PepsiCo. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.