Sunny Anderson Creates Simple Summer Meal Solutions
In partnership with Lipton® Iced Tea, Dollar General recently welcomed New York Times best-selling author and Food Network personality, Sunny Anderson to its Tennessee corporate offices as part of Sunny’s Simple Summer Meal Solutions program, which helps customers find delicious, easy-to-make and affordable meals.
“I know firsthand how food can bring people together,” said Sunny. “That’s why I’m thrilled to be partnering with Dollar General and Lipton to create new recipes made with – or intended to be paired with – iced tea, including their newest flavor – Mango!”
Sunny personally created five exclusive new summer recipes that are already creating a buzz in national publications including Essence.com and Popsugar.com. Each tasty creation incorporates the fresh tastes of Lipton® iced teas or pairs perfectly with them. Recipes include Sunny’s Mango and Honey Easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Sunny’s Easy Peach Tea BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.
“We all want to WOW our guests with delicious table stoppers” noted Sunny, “and that doesn’t always mean you have to spend a lot.”
Sunny’s Easy Peach Tea BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy Sunny Anderson, 2017
For the chicken
For the sauce
- 1 chicken, room temperature
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the sandwiches
- 1¼ cup Lipton Tea, Peach
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 (14-ounce) can peaches, drained
- ¼ teaspoon dry thyme (or 2 sprigs fresh thyme)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
4-6 sandwich rolls
Store-bought coleslaw (optional)
1. Roast the chicken. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Place chicken in a roasting pan and rub with olive oil. Season all over with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven uncovered until an internal thermometer reads 165° when tested in the inner leg. Cover gently with aluminum foil and let rest until cool enough to shred by hand. Remove skin, bones and cartilage, and then shred meat. Set aside.
2. Make the sauce. In a pot on high heat add the tea and bring it to a boil then add the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, light brown sugar, diced tomatoes, thyme, smoked paprika, a good pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Bring to a bubble and then lower the heat and let cook until reduced by half.
3. Assemble. While the sauce is still hot, add the shredded chicken and stir until heated through. Serve the Sweet Tea BBQ chicken on the bottom bun, topped with pickles and the top bun.
Customers can access the complete list of Sunny’s Simple Summer Meal Solutions at www.DollarGeneral.com/MealPlanner, and they can save more with a Dollar General digital coupon from Lipton® Iced Tea now through August 20!